Saturday, January 12, 2013

I Too Have a Life: A Short Story


It was the first day of my school. I was just crying like other cry-babies. My parents were busy getting me ready and I was wondering why they were hurrying to send me away from them. And suddenly I heard my name. Someone was shouting, “Sherly come down fast!” I panicked thinking my dad had called some men to get me. Then my mother introduced me to Ramu uncle who was looking not so happy after calling my name number of times. He gave me a quick big smile to change my crying look. But I was still frozen refusing to leave my mother. Finally I got a deal to get a Barbie doll and finally I got into the auto rickshaw.
                                                                                                                 
The first day experience was really unforgettable. It was my first step into this big world with so many strangers of my age. I was good at making friends and hence I started enjoying the things. And Ramu uncle was always there to entertain us. As I was growing older I came to know many things about Ramu uncle. My elder brother Sumit used to go to school with Ramu uncle’s auto rickshaw. He had two children, one daughter and a son. My dad used to chat with him about his everyday life and also helped him financially many times. He also never forgot to show us gratitude. He used to come at our home with his family on some occasions like Ganapati festival and Diwali. Once my mother told me how my brother punched Ramu uncle on his first day at school and I failed to hold my laugh though I felt sorry for Ramu uncle.

We really had nice time in our auto rickshaw journey. Everyone was a fan of Ramu uncle and his Bollywood songs collection. He used to give us a treat on the end of our every semester exam. I was growing older and moved up to 10th standard. Everyone else in my auto rickshaw group found their own way to come to school. Some chose bicycle or a scooter and some were simply coming by the bus. But I stick to auto rickshaw as my parents were refusing to let me go by scooter for some safety reasons. My brother was doing engineering that time. I and one more girl named Sneha were the only seniors left in the auto rickshaw.

I had my last board exam on that day. Ramu uncle was there to pick me after the exam. I was very happy. I was feeling like I was on cloud 9. Sneha went with her dad and I was alone in the auto rickshaw. But I wasn’t caring about the world. I was planning many things to celebrate two months vacations. Ramu uncle offered me a treat and I said yes to follow the tradition. By the time I realized that we were heading on a wrong way. As I warned Ramu uncle, he said he had a big surprise for me. He treated me with burger and ice-cream. We took the same path later because Ramu uncle had known some shortcut. That shortcut led us to non-residential area outside the city.

Two days had passed since my last board exam. But I wasn’t able to sleep for a second. The monster part of the Ramu uncle came out that day. What if someone would have done the same thing to his daughter? Why did not I refuse to get that treat and simply returned to home? And many more questions were rushing to my mind. I felt really sorry for all women who faced the similar mental and physical torture before. It was just not the sexual harassment or so called an accident but it was a moral attack on my whole family. Finally I talked with my mother and she fell on the ground in shock. Sumit bhaiya turned into angry protecting brother and called some of his friends to bring hockey sticks and went to beat Ramu uncle. My dad just stood there in silence and was continuously watching me without a movement of his eyelid. He hugged me and said that everything was going to be alright. He gave me the strength but could not resist crying when he was in bed.

Finally I got justice and Ramu uncle sent to jail for twenty years with non-bailable punishment. Everyone offered me sympathy but the world did not change a little. It affected only one life and it was me. I went for a makeover and achieved my doctorate in public policy. After all I too had a life and I did not have a right to end it by myself.

Today I run one of the most successful NGOs in India called ‘Save Girl, Save Future’. Yesterday I went to visit a village in Haryana. I decided to meet their sarpanch first to get his help. He sarcastically asked me a direct question, “Why should we grow our daughters, ma’am? So some monsters can have their benefits.” It went to my heart like an arrow. He was speaking a truth. I have noticed the rape cases increasing every year after my incident. I chose to be silent. Then two beautiful girls came out of his house with tea and some snacks. He introduced me to his daughters. I asked him surprisingly that why he chose to grow his daughters. And he said simply, “To make them like you and help others’ daughters”. Finally my tears found their way to come out.


2 comments:

I am really hungry for your comments. Criticism is the best thing to improve our-self. Do comment!

Popular Posts